Large-scale Event Checklist
It is good to spread out your tasks across a year (or more!) before to the event because arranging a large-scale event takes a lot of time. Your timeframe for organising a sizable event should resemble this:
12 to 16 months prior to the event
- Establish objectives, including the purpose of the event, the event value proposition, and the target attendance.
- Set the date.
- Establish a budget and update it regularly as you go.
- Choose an event format or a theme.
- Book the venue.
- Research speakers.
- Launch your event marketing campaign.
- Determine if you want sponsorship for your event, and reach out. Choose sponsors that align with your company and your attendees.
8 to 11 months prior to the event
- Finalize speaker contracts, and get them signed.
- Create the venue layout – use event diagram software to make things easier.
- Finalize venue details – ensure you have A/V equipment and Wi-Fi, adequate parking, security, accessibility features.
- Review and finalize budget.
3 to 7 months prior to the event
- Finalize the menu, working with the caterer to ensure all dietary requirements are met.
- Manage speaker travel arrangements.
- Get speaker bio info and photos.
- Make sure all contracts are signed.
- Get all permits, licenses, and event insurance.
- Order event merchandise and promotional materials.
- Collect and make final payments.
- Put together a draft of the event schedule.
1 to 2 months prior to the event
- Organize a visit to the venue for the team to do a walk-through.
- Send reminders to attendees on email and social media.
- Check in with speakers and panelists to see if they have questions or concerns.
- Push last-minute prospective attendees to register.
- Review event materials, including programs, the event app, and branded swag.
Week of the event
- Confirm vendor arrival set-up and break-down details.
- Provide final registration numbers to the venue and caterer.
- Double-check the A/V equipment and wifi.
- Train volunteers, greeters, and hosts.
- Final venue walkthrough.
1 day to 2 weeks after the event
- Send post-event survey to attendees.
- Send thank-you notes to volunteers and speakers (as well as donors and sponsors, if applicable).
- Debrief the team. Discuss post-event survey results, how did the PR event went well, and what you will improve on next time.